Monday, May 13, 2013

Response to Inciting a Riot (the blog) Re: The Triple Goddess


The Deficiency of the Triple Goddess


So blog fail - I started and abandoned this project pretty quickly.  Well I'm going to start again, maybe.  

I was thinking about a post on Inciting A Riot.  He'd asked about the Triple Goddess (Maiden, Mother, Crone).  From my research, she's largely a modern creation.  While triple goddess of various sorts exist in mythology, there is no "maiden, mother, crone" deity.  This isn't some "if it's not ancient - it's not for me" rant.  Rather, it is a consideration of what MMC represents.  Even looking at her aspects as metaphor, they are still sexist.  They reduce women to their biology and sexuality.  Even as a metaphor, I'm supposed to accept that my biology should still matter.  I'm more interested in considering my gods as what they do beyond human biology.

When people try to explain MMC as a metaphor, they engage in all kinds of strange rheotical devices and convoluted explanations about how "Mother" means something other than literal biology.  Yet, they always return to almost identical ideas.  It seems to me that if \the explanation takes that much work, drifts so far from what the word actually means, and sometimes ceases to have any connection to the meaning of the word - then perhaps the MMC fails as a metaphor?  

If a goddess of metaphor is needed, why not metaphors that are not essentialist in its view of women (and possibly men)?

I am more than my biology, and I do not live my life as if it my uterus determines who I am.  Why would I want my goddess to be determined by her's?  

No comments:

Post a Comment