Friday, June 14, 2013

Life with Laughter

I realized recently that it has been a long time since I laughed. Not like haha that's funny laughter, but deeper
Eastwick (2009 tv show)
laughter, a laughter that comes from a place of joy.  In ritual, my witchy-partner and I, are sometimes solemn, sometimes sad, sometimes stressed, or angry... sometimes we laugh.

Let me digress for a moment, I've recently returned to a former love. I love going dancing. In the carefree days of my youth, I was at a club 4 or 5 nights a week.  Eventually, life, work, responsibilities got in the way.  And I foolishly bought into the idea that I was too old for dance clubs (and specifically goth clubs). At some point, I began to believe it was time to leave behind the heavy eye makeup and fishnets).  And in my day-to-day life, I can't imagine
getting gothed-up everyday.  But once a week or so, getting dressed up and going and dancing for hours is something I can do.

What I found was that going, being with some girlfriends in too much makeup and short skirts dancing like mad-foolish and sighing and squealing over our favorite songs made me laugh.  Really, deeply, from my soul and from sheer joy laugh. And you know what, it felt really good.  I felt free, I felt alive, I felt better than I had in a long time.
I've found that since that night, laughing is easier. It comes more naturally to me. I know tried a ritual that required laughter once.  It felt weird and forced and awkward. So for my
summer solstice ritual, I'm going to include laughter. Perhaps not in the ritual, but I'll be celebrating with mirth and joy...and yes laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment